Sunday, February 3, 2013

Not Everyone Agrees....

I don't post certain things to be controversial. I don't go looking for backlash and arguments. I want to educate and inform, even if a parent chooses differently from me. I come from a place of care - I just want everyone to have access to the same information, and have the same chance to assess both sides of an issue before making a decision. I don't set out to judge other mothers. Of course it happens, it happens to everyone where they catch themselves making judgments. However, I do my best not to judge unfairly. Sometimes a mom just doesn't know better, or has been misinformed. It is in incredibly mind-boggling cases where a mom does know better or resists looking at information - that one who chooses the poorer path where I find myself judging. How can you not want to look at more information, and be informed? It's your child's well-being in the balance sometimes. it's mind-boggling, truly!

That said, I hope that people can also come from a place of understanding. A lot of my methods are brusque. I'm not trying to be judgmental or bitchy. I'm trying to present information matter of factly. I shouldn't have to sugar coat it for people to be willing to read it. I shouldn't have to try so hard to make people want to read it. If they don't want to hear it; they won't look or they won't listen. Those who come with an open mind are going to be the ones who gain the richness of the information. It is not my responsibility to try and coerce the one who doesn't want it, to drink the water I have brought. That's idiotic. And mental.

Sometimes, even with the information I have presented...a parent will choose differently. Sometimes there are many methods, and reasons for those methods...and that's okay. I'm cool with that. Just be informed. Truly informed. Constantly look for new information - even if you don't feel it will change your mind. Being knowledgeable about a subject won't hurt. It can only help you and provide you with tools.

There is of course, that line to cross where a parent may no longer be looking out for their child's best interest. That's always sad. But as I said, you can't make them drink what you want them to. Some people are just not going to listen to anyone else. I try not to pay mind to those people and to contact appropriately when I feel a child is in immediate danger.

So please, for the love of Gallifrey... do not insist I am seeking drama. Or judging you. Or something else idiotic. I am trying to inform people and let them know (honestly, a lot of the time parents just don't know) that there are other ways of doing things, or more information to be had about subjects they never thought about before. I have my opinions - but they are all based on fact and not judgment. You can have your opinions too. Don't base them off of cultural ideas and myths, misinformation and judgments. Do your own research - come to your own conclusions. Don't accuse the one trying to help others, or one who disagrees with you as being a sancti-mommy. Some people are just trying to help.



No comments:

Post a Comment